What are the ABPANC Leaders reading? A few years ago the ABPANC Board of Directors experienced an “ah ha” moment! As usual when the members of the Board were together, conversation always leaned toward discussing books they were reading — not those mindless but fun novels, but leadership books.
We realized that these books offered strategies or solutions that positively impact ABPANC as well as each member’s own institution and personal leadership style. The idea for an ABPANC Better Leader Book Club sprang to life and was planned for that year’s ABPANC annual board meeting which coincided with ASPAN’s National conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The ASPAN Board of Directors was also invited and a lively discussion ensued about the books, Fish! and Good to Great.
The book club meeting was so successful that it ultimately is held at each ABPANC board meeting and other events.
ABPANC’s Board of Directors believes that — Today a Reader, Tomorrow a Leader! and has borrowed this quote from W. Musselman.
If you like to read, consider forming a book club of your own with colleagues who share this passion. A listing of the books that have been discussed at the ABPANC Better Leader Book Club is found below. Reading brings people together and helps keep you in touch with cutting edge information. Don’t wait — start reading now!
- A Message from Garcia by Charles Garcia
- Choosing Civility: The Twenty Five Rules of Considerate Conduct by P.M. Forni
- Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes are High by Kerry Patterson
- Crucial Confrontations by Kerry Patterson
- Elizabeth I CEO, Strategic Lessons from the Leader Who Built an Empire by Alan Axelrod
- Encouraging the Heart: A Leader’s Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others by Kouzes and Posner
- First Among Equalsby by Patrick McKenna & David Maister
- First You Have To Row A Little Boat by Richard Bode
- Fish! by Stephen Ludin
- Good to Great by Jim Collins
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- Inspirational Leadership by Lance Secretan
- It’s Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy by D. Michael Abrashoff
- Managing by Values: Becoming a Fortunate 500 Organization by Kenneth Blanchard, Michael O’Connor.
- “Ping” A Frog in Search of a New Pond by Stuart Avery Gold
- Power of Focus by Jack Canfield, Mark Hansen, Les Hewitt
- QBQ! The Question Behind the Question by John G. Miller
- The 24 Carrot Manager by Adrian Gostick & Chester Elton
- The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness by Stephen Covey
- The Culture Code: An Ingenious Way to Understand Why People Around the World Live and Buy as They Do by Clotaire Rapaille
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz
- The Right to Lead by John Maxwell
- The Will to Govern Well by Tecker, Frankel, Meyer
- Top Performance by Zig Ziglar
- Working the Room: How to Move People to Action through Audience-Centered Speaking by Nick Morgan, B.Z. Posner
- Your Iceberg is Melting by John Kotter