ABPANC Nomination & Election Handbook
The Nomination & Election Handbook contains complete information about ABPANC, the process for nominations and elections, position accountabilities, explanation about the Behavioral-Based Interview process using a competency model, Conflict of Interest policies, commitments, and required written documents.
Nominees must express a commitment to the perianesthesia nursing specialty and to professional certification. You must view specialty nursing certification as a means for public protection and be committed to professional certification as a means of validating the knowledge, skills and abilities required to practice perianesthesia nursing in order to promote quality patient care. The ability to understand issues related to certification from a global perspective is key.
In addition to excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills, being computer literate and having access to a computer and the internet, and confidence as a public speaker, nominees must exhibit specific competencies that are described in the ABPANC Nominations Handbook & Application:
- Conceptual Thinking
- Customer Service Orientation
- Information Seeking
- Interpersonal Understanding
- Organizational Commitment
- Relationship Building
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Verbal, Written and Interpersonal Skills
ABPANC seeks individuals who are passionate about the perianesthesia specialty and certification. While this passion is expressed in many ways, often including membership in one’s professional organization, it is not a requirement for ABPANC service. Since ABPANC is a certifying organization, it is precluded by law from requiring membership in any professional association, including ASPAN, as a requisite for service on the ABPANC Board of Directors.
As an ABPANC Volunteer, you have the unique opportunity at the national level to contribute to the development of the CPAN® and CAPA® certification programs that recognize and promote excellence in perianesthesia nursing practice and, most importantly, are in the best interest of perianesthesia patients and their families.
Further, you have an opportunity to:
- as nurses, give back to a profession that you’ve built a career on;
- ensure the quality of care delivered and make a positive difference in patient outcomes;
- influence national standards and practice;
- advocate for perianesthesia patients and their loved ones at a global level beyond your immediate environment;
- grow professionally in areas you’re not exposed to every day;
- network nationally with colleagues beyond the walls of your own workplace;
- be recognized as a national leader within your profession; and
- collaborate with other national professional organizations and their leaders.
Volunteer Policies – Conflict of Interest / Fiduciary Responsibility
Code of Conduct for the Board of Directors
Code of Conduct for Individuals Representing ABPANC
Disclosure Statement and Acknowledgment
Self Appraisal: RN Director/Public Member
Self Appraisal: President Elect
Self Appraisal: ECC Co-Chair
Reference Form: RN Director/Public Member
Reference Form: President Elect
Reference Form: ECC Co-Chair
Background Report Consent Agreement